- Scotland - Social Security Consultation Includes Funeral Payment at Part 2 Item 9
- Download the 13 week consultation here
- Cremation of Fetuses to be brought into regulation in England and Wales.
Ministry of Justice response to the recent consultation can be downloaded here.
Regulation, definition of ashes, statutory forms, codes of practice and possible Inspector of Crematoria.
- National Investigation Report SCOTLAND. Baby and Infant Cremations. Download the report here.
- Read the Response of the Scottish Government
- BRAMM Blue Book Revised and Updated
Download the Blue Book and circulate to your local memorial masons. Easy to understand guide to compliance with BS8415.
- Burial and Cremation (Scotland) Bill
The Health and Sports Committee has published its Stage 1 report.
- Scottish Government Tackling Funeral Poverty report Published.
Recommends licensing of funeral directors and parity in cemetery and crematorium charges.
- Burial and Cremation (Scotland) Bill - The Local Government and Regeneration Committee has published its Stage 1 report. Download the report here.
- Cremation (England and Wales) Regulations 2008 CONSULTATION - Views are sought on change and improvement and takes in the recommendations made by Lord Bonomy and David Jenkins in their reports. Further information and how to respond can be found here.
- Scotland - National Committee on Infant Cremation published its Code of Practice on 9th December 2015. Authorities in Scotland should adopt this Code. Those in other parts of the UK can accept the Code as best practice guidance.
- Amendment to Section 25 of the Burial Act 1857
The above legislation will be amended and simplified from 1st January 2015 by the Church of England (Miscellaneous Provisions) Measure 2014.
Currently a Faculty only is required to exhume remains from consecrated ground and rebury in another consecrated place.
From 1st January 2015 you will only need approval from either the Secretary of State (via a Ministry of Justice license) or the Church of England, depending on the current location of the remains.
Members will have received an E-Newsletter however the Ministry of Justice has issued a summary.
- Diploma - Crematorium Management Unit review. Upgrade your accredited qualification to include specifics relating to baby and infant cremation.
(Included for those enrolling from December 2014)
- Infant Cremation Commission - REPORT PUBLISHED - Members in all parts of the UK are strongly advised to read the report in full.
- MORTONHALL REPORT - Cremation of Babies
Members will be aware that Edinburgh City Council commissioned the RT Hon Dame Elish Angiolini DBE QC to investigate matters surrounding the cremation of babies following widespread media reports in Scotland. Edinburgh City Council has published the report and it is publicly available for download here.
The report is lengthy however members are advised to read all of the report and particularly the legal and expert opinions contained in Section 2.
Whilst this matter focuses on Scotland, members in all parts of the UK are advised to keep up to speed with this issue.
Use the search box below to search for documents and web pages on this site and our portal partners