- Cemetery of the Year Awards 2019
- This free to enter competition will run from 31st March to 31st July 2019. As well as existing categories for Small/Medium Burial Grounds, and Large Burial Grounds, this year's competition features three new categories of Parish, Town or Community Council Burial Ground; Natural Burial Ground Provider, and Design and Innovation of Memorials. Entry to the competition can be made online here from 31st March. The Awards will be presented at the ICCM Learning Convention and Exhibition.
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission Signs Project
- The Commonwealth War Graves Commission are offering to install and maintain signs for those cemeteries that contain war graves. The aim of the initiative is to increase awareness of war graves across the UK and to remind the public that they need not travel abroad to find Commonwealth commemorations. Further details can be found here.
- Joint Bereavement Services Seminar - Weds 27th March, Stratford Manor
- Don't miss out on your chance to attend this important Seminar, where the impact of burial and cremation on the environment will be considered. You will also have the opportunity to debate the issues and contribute to environmental initiatives for the sector. Download a final programme here, and a booking form here.
- Chief Medical Examiner Appointed
- Dr Alan Fletcher, a consultant in Emergency Medicine, has been appointed as the National Medical Examiner for the NHS. Dr Fletcher will oversee the introduction of the Medical Examiner system in England and Wales. Further details can be found here.
- Children's Funeral Fund
- On Wednesday 27th February, Sir John Hayes asked a question at Prime Minister's Questions about the Children's Funeral Fund. The Prime Minister stated that the Government is committed to implementing the fund in the summer. There are no further details available at the moment, but they will be posted on this website and sent in an e-newsletter to members as they become available.
- Hedgehogs and Burial Grounds
- The hedgehog population has declined by 50% in urban areas and a third in rural areas since 2000. The British Hedgehog Preservation Society, together with the People's Trust for Endangered Species, have produced a document encouraging sympathetic land management for hedgehogs, which is available here. Cemeteries and crematoria can play a vital role in helping to protect the hedgehog population. If you have a scheme in place to help hedgehogs, you could be considered for the Hog Heroes roll of honour - further information available on the British Hedgehog Preservation Society's website.
- Cremation (Scotland) Regulations - New Forms
- Read a letter from the Scottish Government about the new cremation application forms here. Download the poster referred to in the letter here
- Cremation (Scotland) Regulations - Guidance Notes
- The latest version of the Guidance Notes for the Cremation (Scotland) Regulations 2019 can be downloaded here
- Joint Seminar - Wednesday 27th March, Stratford Manor
- Download a programme for the Joint Seminar here, and a booking form here
- Midlands and Mid-Wales Branch Meeting
- The next meeting of the Midlands and Mid-Wales Branch is being held at Redditch Crematorium on Tuesday 16th April 2019. Further details here.
- Scottish Government's Proposed Draft Guidance on Funeral Costs
independent analysis of consultation responses received on the proposed draft guidance on funeral costs by the Scottish
Government has now been published.
You can access the publication here.
- One Stop Shop for Bereavement Support
- A charity, AtaLoss.org, has been set up to provide a one-stop shop for Bereavement Support. AtaLoss.org provides a unique, national, one-stop web based information service, signposting people to the range of bereavement services that exist across the UK. More information about the Charity can be found here, and their website can be found here.
Use the search box below to search for documents and web pages on this site and our portal partners