- ICCM Photographic Competition 2019
- Entries may now be submitted for the ICCM Photographic Competition 2019. Further details can be downloaded here.
- ICCM Technical Services and Journal Officer Recruitment
- The ICCM is looking to appoint a Technical Services and Journal Officer to join the existing Officer team in the delivery of ICCM Member services, ICCM initiatives and ICCM training and education. The Job Advert can be downloaded here. The Job Description and Person Specification can be downloaded here. The closing date for applications is 16.00 on Friday 3rd May.
- ICCM Recycling of Pacemakers Scheme
- The ICCM, in association with Orthometals, has launched a scheme to recycle pacemakers removed prior to cremation that will run alongside the ICCM Recycling of Metals scheme. Further information can be found here.
- Review of Crematoria Provision and Facilities
- The Government has published the response to a consultation in 2016 of crematoria provision and facilities. A copy of the report can be downloaded here.
- Joint Guidance on Coffin Weights in Scotland
- Following the introduction of the Cremation (Scotland) Regulations 2019, the NAFD, Scottish SAIF, ICCM and FBCA have published joint guidance on dealing with the requirement for funeral directors to submit the weight of a coffin to the cremation authority. This guidance is for the interim period of 6 months to allow funeral directors time to purchase appropriate weighing machines. The guidance can be downloaded here.
- Cremation (Scotland) Regulations 2019
- The Scottish Government issued Guidance on the new Cremation Regulations on 5th April 2019. A copy of the Guidance can be downloaded here.
- Updated Guidance from the Scottish Government
- New cremation forms in Scotland came into use on 4th April. The Scottish Government has issued some updated guidance relating to the new forms, which can be read here.
- Eastern Branch Meeting
- The next meeting of the ICCM Eastern Branch is being held at the Cam Valley Crematorium on Saturday 27th April 2019. An invitation letter can be read here.
- Scotland - Revised Form A6 and Cremation Registers
- The Scottish Government have issued updated guidance on a revised Form A6 and on cremation registers. You can read the updated guidance here, and download a copy of the revised Form A6 here.
- Scotland - New Requirements of Reporting the Opening of a New Crematorium
- The Burial and Cremation
(Scotland) Act 2016 repeals the Cremation Act 1902 with effect from 4 April
2019. The minimum distance requirement for a crematorium from residential
housing will no longer apply. There is now a new procedure to be followed
before a new crematorium can start operating. This is set out in section
59 of the 2016 Act. Section 60 of the 2016 Act sets out the penalties
that may apply if these requirements are not complied with. A Guidance Note issue by the Scottish Government on the new procedure can be downloaded here.
- Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) Announcement
- The CMA has launched an in-depth investigation into the funerals sector. More details can be found here.
- Cemetery of the Year Awards 2019
- This free to enter competition will run from 31st March to 31st July 2019. As well as existing categories for Small/Medium Burial Grounds, and Large Burial Grounds, this year's competition features three new categories of Parish, Town or Community Council Burial Ground; Natural Burial Ground Provider, and Design and Innovation of Memorials. Entry to the competition can be made online here from 31st March. The Awards will be presented at the ICCM Learning Convention and Exhibition.
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission Signs Project
- The Commonwealth War Graves Commission are offering to install and maintain signs for those cemeteries that contain war graves. The aim of the initiative is to increase awareness of war graves across the UK and to remind the public that they need not travel abroad to find Commonwealth commemorations. Further details can be found here.
- Chief Medical Examiner Appointed
- Dr Alan Fletcher, a consultant in Emergency Medicine, has been appointed as the National Medical Examiner for the NHS. Dr Fletcher will oversee the introduction of the Medical Examiner system in England and Wales. Further details can be found here.
- Children's Funeral Fund
- On Wednesday 27th February, Sir John Hayes asked a question at Prime Minister's Questions about the Children's Funeral Fund. The Prime Minister stated that the Government is committed to implementing the fund in the summer. There are no further details available at the moment, but they will be posted on this website and sent in an e-newsletter to members as they become available.
- Hedgehogs and Burial Grounds
- The hedgehog population has declined by 50% in urban areas and a third in rural areas since 2000. The British Hedgehog Preservation Society, together with the People's Trust for Endangered Species, have produced a document encouraging sympathetic land management for hedgehogs, which is available here. Cemeteries and crematoria can play a vital role in helping to protect the hedgehog population. If you have a scheme in place to help hedgehogs, you could be considered for the Hog Heroes roll of honour - further information available on the British Hedgehog Preservation Society's website.
- Cremation (Scotland) Regulations - New Forms
- Read a letter from the Scottish Government about the new cremation application forms here. Download the poster referred to in the letter here
- Cremation (Scotland) Regulations - Guidance Notes
- The latest version of the Guidance Notes for the Cremation (Scotland) Regulations 2019 can be downloaded here
- Midlands and Mid-Wales Branch Meeting
- The next meeting of the Midlands and Mid-Wales Branch is being held at Redditch Crematorium on Tuesday 16th April 2019. Further details here.
- One Stop Shop for Bereavement Support
- A charity, AtaLoss.org, has been set up to provide a one-stop shop for Bereavement Support. AtaLoss.org provides a unique, national, one-stop web based information service, signposting people to the range of bereavement services that exist across the UK. More information about the Charity can be found here, and their website can be found here.
Use the search box below to search for documents and web pages on this site and our portal partners