- Implementing Medical Examiners
- The Royal College of Pathologists recently hosted a one day training event on the implementation of the medical examiner system from April 2019. A summary of the day can be found here.
- Results of Ballot
- At the ICCM Board of Directors Meeting on 12th September the votes for Deputy President and 3 Director places on the Board were counted. The results of the ballot are:
Deputy President - Heather White
- Directors - Tim Morris, Mohamed Omer, Kevin Pilkington
- The Board would like to thank all those who stood for election and all those who voted, and to congratulate those who were elected. The Deputy President will be inducted at the AGM on Monday 1st October, and the new Directors will take up their positions following the AGM.
- SE Branch Meeting
- The next meeting of the SE Branch will take place on Wednesday 17th October at Golders Green Crematorium, 62 Hoop Lane, Golders Green, London, NW11 7NL. Further details can be downloaded here. All members and guests are welcome.
- Revised BRAMM Blue Book
- Following a recent revision of the British Standard 8415, BRAMM has amended the BRAMM Blue Book to meet the revised requirements. A copy of the BRAMM Blue Book can be found downloaded free of charge here
- Groundwater in Cemeteries - Environment Agency Requirements
- It is a statutory requirement under the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2016, the Water Resources Act 1991 and the Anti Pollution Works Notice Regulations 1999 that measures are taken to protect groundwater from potential pollution sources. The Environment Agency has recently published revised guidance for cemeteries (available here). Risk assessments are now required on all burial sites, both existing and proposed, in order to comply with the guidelines. Guidance on the risk assessments is available here
- Draft Guidance on Funeral Costs in Scotland - Consultation
- The Scottish Government
are keen to gather the views of a wide range of stakeholders, particularly
local authorities, private burial or cremation authorities, funeral directors
and any other groups or individuals with a working knowledge of, or interest
in, burial and cremation or the funeral industry. They are also keen to hear from
individuals and organisations with experience of tackling poverty or providing
consumer advice. The consultation is available via the Scottish Government website at https://consult.gov.scot/social-security/statutory-guidance-on-funeral-costs and the consultation period will run until 8 November.
- Public Health Funerals - ICCM Position Statement
- The ICCM Board of Directors has issued a position statement on Public Health Funerals. Those responsible for setting policy and making arrangements for such funerals are encouraged to read and take note of the position statement. The position statement can be read here
- Burial and Cremation (Scotland) Act - Newsletter, Summer 2018
- An update from the Scottish Government on where they are with legislation/regulation can be downloaded here.
- Government Response to Consultation on the Introduction of Medical Examiners and Reforms to Death Certification in England and Wales
- The Government has published its response to consultation carried out in 2016 on the introduction of Medical Examiners and reforms to death certification in England and Wales. A ministerial statement on the response can be downloaded here. A full copy of the response can be downloaded here.
- Launch of enquiry into the cost of funerals
- The Competition and Markets Authority (formerly the Office of Fair Trading, is launching a review into the £2bn funerals market to ensure that people are not getting a bad deal. The review will include the rising level of cremation fees, in both the private and public sector. Further information, including an opportunity to comment on the Statement of Scope, can be found here.
- New Training Courses
- In association with Heartled Wellbeing, the ICCM has developed a range of training courses designed to help bereavement services professionals with responsibility for others to develop their supervisory and management skills. Further details of the courses can be found on the Training page on this website.
Use the search box below to search for documents and web pages on this site and our portal partners